←  Nanosoft

nanoCAD forum

»

Splash Screen Empty

John Pearson's Photo John Pearson 08 Aug 2019

I just installed Nano V5 twice and both times the splash screen is empty except for the X button. How do I get it to fill in the info?

PS
I used the wrong term as the opening screen is OK but the Start window with info is empty. Cannot find a way to edit the topic title.
Edited by John Pearson, 09 August 2019 - 11:49 AM.

John Pearson's Photo John Pearson 09 Aug 2019

SOLVED
This is new Acer A315 laptop identical to another purchased recently. On this one, I choose John#2 as the account name. Win 10 did not complain about the # sign as the users profile folder name. When NanoCAD was installed, the Visual C++ could not be installed. At that point, I was suspicious of the folder name and changed the user name to John2. That solved the Visual C++ install problem. However, the Start window was still empty. Again, I was suspicious of the # sign still remaining in the folder name. I found the procedure for changing the folder name which involves creating another admin account, John3, then changing the folder name and a registry entry of John#2 to John2. Now all is well and the Start window is populated with info. I'll leave the second admin account as is but not use it unless something goes astray and I need a second account to fix a problem with the first.

Bottom line:
NEVER use symbols when creating accounts in Win 10 as the program to be installed may not be aware of all the legal file/folder name characters. I believe NanoCAD 5 was written before Win 10 was created.