←  nanoCAD forum

nanoCAD forum

»

Dimension Issues and other

Salko Safic's Photo Salko Safic 24 Sep 2021

Hi there,

I draw a line to 100mm in model space. In paper space this has doubled to 200.07mm. WHY? What's the fix
Please refer to my snapshots for clarification

The other issue I'm having is how to default to inches on every new document and have unit setup, dimms style and text style default to my settings on every new project?

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image
  • Attached Image

Artemio's Photo Artemio 24 Sep 2021

It seems viewport scale settings might help you.
Sorry for not reffering to your snapshots, but it's not clear from it what is your current scale of viewport.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, you're setting the dimensions separately for model space and paper.
This free version is quite old and might have some issues with users who get used to work with another dwg editors mainly because of another logic.
Let me show it on example.
Attached Image
I draw a line in model and set it dimension.
Then switch to paper space and put there a viewport.
Attached Image
And the reason why it's different is viewport scale...
Attached Image
and as soon as I set the scale of viewport equal to 1:1
Attached Image

issue is solved,
Yeah it's not really convenient when viewport scaling effects dimension and in newer versions of this platform it works another way. But newer versions aren't for free.
So you can try to work with dimensioning from model space and then use symbol scale to formate it.
Attached Image
Using this symbol and measurement scales approach differs from what you might get used to.
But you can give it a chance.
Or synchronize viewport scale with measurement scale.

Artemio's Photo Artemio 24 Sep 2021

About your second issue.
You can create new document, leave it without any drawings at the beginning, and customize it with all settings you need.
Then: File->Save as
and save it as a template file i.e. XXX.dwt.
After that try to call command: OPTIONS
Attached Image
Put your customized XXX.dwt file into Templates folder.
Change default template to your customized one.
Hope it helped you.
Best regards!

Salko Safic's Photo Salko Safic 24 Sep 2021

Thanks Artemio, that certainly fixed it. However, there is the other issue of the other viewports scales having one and missing the other for example: In the inspector you have 1:4, but on bottom right there is no 1:4 but the closest to it 1:5. The two viewport scales do not match and from what you've shown me both the scale in the inspector and in the main view both must be to the same scale to have it to read the measurements correctly. I haven't yet found the option adding custom scales.

There's the issue of the XY coord. being so large and dead smack in the middle of the drawing in paper space. Is there a way to have tucked in the left corner and to be much smaller?

Salko Safic's Photo Salko Safic 25 Sep 2021

I have played around with it extensively and have come to the conclusion that there is something awfully buggy about this software. I have drawn a simple rectangle and opened in the papersource window A4. I have set the scale to 1:2 both in the inspector window and in the viewport scale. The right width of the rectangle dimms display 65mm whilst the left side width displays 121mm which is correct. Why in the world would it display two different measurements bewilders me. I didn't draw the rectangle using the line tool but the preset rectangle tool. I have tried the plus version and I cannot get the scale to work in it properly either.

Artemio's Photo Artemio 25 Sep 2021

About custom scale.
Call PARAMS
Attached Image
It is really not obvious. but you can also change it here.
If you want, for example, set M4:1, then in this menu set "Model scale" equal to 0.25.
Click OK and you'll see, that in bottom right side scale cnanges to 4:1.
If you want made it 1:4, set "Model scale" to 4.

I want to remind you, that "Measurement scale" doesn't effect real object characteristics, such as scale.
It calculates values of dimensions you set on the objects as real value of object size multiplied on scale coefficient.

Maybe it would be better to set dimensions on objects in model space, and then in paper space scale viewport only with inspectors value.
Then if dimensions value isn't clear because of scale, you can use "Symbol scale" to this dimension.
Not to the object, but exactly to the dimension you set in model.

It's a little bit sophisticated, so I'd recommend you to read "Help"->"Contents and indexes"->"Scale" in order to get to know it.

As for large "xy coord" issue.
You can change it properties or simply switch it off.
One way to do it - from inspector. This icon calls UCS Icon.
Another - to call UCSICON and choose needed option.
Attached Image

Artemio's Photo Artemio 25 Sep 2021

Please, try to read "Help"->"Contents and indexes"->"Scale".
There is huge difference between "viewport scale", "Measurement scale" and "Symbol scale".
You shouldn't use them uncarefully.

Salko Safic's Photo Salko Safic 26 Sep 2021

Fair enough I will thoroughly read through it, but I have to ask why didn't they simplify it like it is in AutoCAD. You can add scale on the fly and when you're in paperspace all the measurements are scaled for you and matches what's in model space. Nobody scales nor prints from model space. Lol I remember 10 years ago I did because I knew no better. Look I don't want to give up on nanocad as it is priced much better than AutoCAD but also bear in mind I haven't drawn anything in two days because of these hiccups.

Thanks for the tip on the icon but as I have turned the icon off in model space, it automatically gets transferred over into paperspace and that's where I don't want it. Is there a way to get rid of it from there?

Artemio's Photo Artemio 26 Sep 2021

It's really easy to get rid of UCS icon.
Just switch it OFF in inspector (Misc section) for all three spaces:
1. In model space: UCS icon On turn to No it it'll disappear from model space.
2. In paper space: UCS icon On turn to No and it'll disappear from paper too.
Note: nothing should be selected neither in model space no in paper during this manipulations.
3. To get rid of UCS icon from viewport space simply select (not activate!) your viewport, then, in inspector you'll see strange and alone field "On: Yes" at the top of Misc section. Turn it to No and UCS icon will disappear from viewport space too.

I'm really sorry for your hiccups. Maybe a little Nano history will smooth it.
Nano scales were developed in 90's, if I'm not mistaken, long before AutoCAD's annotations. NanoCAD wasn't and isn't copy of AutoCAD. It's different product like Linux, Windows and MacOS for example. AutoCAD then spread widely and some later invented it's annotation, which are not bad though. Most users got used to it.
NanoCAD symbol and measurement scales evolved and adapt since then too. In NanoCAD 21 version they are more intuitive. For example, scale of viewport doesn't effect measurements in paper space anymore.
If you'll get Nano scales, it's like getting super power cause not so much users did it yet. There are still a lot of who continues to do all only in model space as you do 10 years ago.
Best regards and good luck!

Salko Safic's Photo Salko Safic 27 Sep 2021

I appreciate the time you have given me to aid me in using this product. I will take the time in learning Nano scales thoroughly. Thank you once again.

john wang's Photo john wang 13 Jan 2022

View PostArtemio, on 24 September 2021 - 08:52 PM, said:

And the reason why it's different is viewport scale...

Thank you for this example.
I found a typo in this window. It is "Standard Scale", not "Standart".

john wang's Photo john wang 13 Jan 2022

View PostSalko Safic, on 26 September 2021 - 12:11 AM, said:

Nobody scales nor prints from model space. Lol I

I do.
I scale a A3 frame X100 in model space, then draw every thing and dimensioning in that frame.
When print that frame (selected by picking the cross points of the window) on a A3 paper, I get a 1:100 drawing.

Artemio's Photo Artemio 13 Jan 2022

View Postjohn wang, on 13 January 2022 - 11:49 AM, said:

Thank you for this example.
I found a typo in this window. It is "Standard Scale", not "Standart".

Hi, John!
Thank you for your attentiveness!
It's really a typo and correct is "standarD, not standarT".
But this free version has no more upgrades, so, this typo might still live there for some more time.