Raster to Vector

9 replies to this topic

#1 Chad Lutsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:14 PM

Hi. I am staring down the barrel of about 800 raster .pdf's that are going to need to be turned into vectors. Anybody got any suggestions other than to quit and just go fishing??
Started working with a new customer and it appears that they have just scanned in images of drawings and called them .pdf. No layer information available and nothing to 'grab' when importing as .pdf. Downloaded 3dscan as someone mentioned that it might be possible to vectorize in that, but so far no luck.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm headed to the lake with a bucket of beer...
Thanks, ~Chad

#2 Kreator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationKrasnodar, Russia

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:21 AM

Hi.
NC Plus with raster module can vectorize rasters. Other way is to use some utility like PDF to DWG Converter.

#3 Chad Lutsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:15 AM

Thank you! I will delve a little more deeply into this over the weekend. Is the raster module something I need to request, or is it part of Plus already? I've tried a couple of converters online, but haven't found one that works well. Is there one that you like? One that you have found to work better than others? Thanks for the reply. Have a good evening. ~C

#4 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationFrance - Maine et Loire

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:24 AM

Hello,
- if the pdf are images (pixelation at zoom): difficult!
- If the pdf are vectors (no pixelization on zoom): use PConPlanner (free) which reads the pdf and transforms it into dwg.

https://pcon-planner.com/fr/download/

#5 Chad Lutsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:14 PM

pguimber- Thanks. Yes, the pdf's have been reduced to simple images. No layers, no underlaying geometry, bad pixelation... Agreed. Very difficult. Hard even to trace by hand with a digitizing pen, much less a mouse. Tried the trial of 3dscan and it worked - to a degree - but have not heard back from NC as to a price yet. I'm hopeful it won't break my bank. So, am continuing to search for other alternatives in case it is simply too much for me. Thank you for the response ;) ~C

#6 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationFrance - Maine et Loire

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:56 AM

I have not tried but solutions like this (or other )?

https://fr.vectormagic.com/

#7 Kreator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationKrasnodar, Russia

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:54 AM

View PostChad Lutsey, on 14 August 2020 - 12:15 AM, said:

Is the raster module something I need to request, or is it part of Plus already?
Yes, it is module that you have to buy separately. As I know, it is part of NC Pro. Better ask support. I guess you can install trial to test it.
https://www.nanocad.com/products
And feel free to ask questions to support@nanocad.com

#8 Chad Lutsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

Thank you! I understood that it was only a part of 3dscan. I will check out pro right away. Have a great day! I will also take a look at VectorMagic. I would prefer to have everything in one place, but beggars must not be choosers... Thank you both

#9 Hellen_V

nanoCAD Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:55 PM

Hello,

international nanoCAD Pro does not contain Raster functionality. Did you try raster functinality in 3DScan? Is it enough for you?
If not - I can advice you to try WiseImage product https://csoft.com/pr...ersion-software
nanoCAD Support Team
support@nanocad.com

#10 Chad Lutsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 01:41 AM

Hellen, Thank you for the response. Sorry I am tardy in my reply to you. Yes, I have tried 3Dscan and for the most part it did what I needed. It will all come down to a question of dollars and cents. At this time, I have not gotten a response for a quote on 3Dscan. I am exploring other options as well. If I run across something that works better than others, I will post a link. Again, thank you for taking the interest to reply. ~C

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users