Help starting a Line from another line(?)

3 replies to this topic

#1 Gato Orellana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 08:42 PM

Hello guys!

I'm new to this software, so please bear with me as I ask a noob question. I'm accustomed to working in the inventor/fusion360 environment, but now I need to create 2D drawings that are suitable for laser cutting and CNC machining, and I'm eager to use NanoCAD.

I'm currently in the process of tracing a guitar template from an image. My usual approach involves scaling the image, establishing a centerline, and then commencing the tracing process from that point. However, after I've drawn the centerline, I've noticed that when I attempt to start drawing other lines (perpendicular to the centerline), they begin from the end of the center line rather than the specific point I'm trying to indicate.

Attached Image: Screenshot_29.png

In Inventor i would just select the line tool, and the tool would snap to the line and simply begin drawing.

I'm sure the solution is just something dumb I'm skipping or simply not using the correct tool, but im not to avid with this sw yet ^_^

Appreciate your help!

#2 Artemio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 October 2023 - 05:22 PM

Hello!
Here you can use OSNAP.
To activate this regime - click on the button "SNAP" at the bottom of the window.
To set what exactly snaps you need click on "SNAP" with right mouse button and select "Setup", or call DSETTINGS in command line. In appeared dialog window "Drafting Settings" select "Object Snap" (also you can ensure, that "Object Snap On" checkbox selected) and here you might turn on snaps you need.

Maybe for you particular situation something like "Quadrant" or "Perpendicular" or "Nearest" might be useful.

Also there is such a thing as "Snap by request". This is toolbar, which you can find with command SHOWTOOLBAR_SNAPR. After you start drawing object it will activates and allows you to select one snap for next action.

Hope it helped.
Don't hesitate to ask more if needed.

#3 Gato Orellana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2023 - 04:47 AM

View PostArtemio, on 28 October 2023 - 05:22 PM, said:

Hello!
Here you can use OSNAP.
To activate this regime - click on the button "SNAP" at the bottom of the window.
To set what exactly snaps you need click on "SNAP" with right mouse button and select "Setup", or call DSETTINGS in command line. In appeared dialog window "Drafting Settings" select "Object Snap" (also you can ensure, that "Object Snap On" checkbox selected) and here you might turn on snaps you need.

Maybe for you particular situation something like "Quadrant" or "Perpendicular" or "Nearest" might be useful.

Also there is such a thing as "Snap by request". This is toolbar, which you can find with command SHOWTOOLBAR_SNAPR. After you start drawing object it will activates and allows you to select one snap for next action.

Hope it helped.
Don't hesitate to ask more if needed.

Thanks a lot! changing the settings did it! :D

#4 RasterTechNZOZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 November 2023 - 12:45 AM

polylines are often better for cutting. Normally you have to export the the CNC in DXF format (my 2 cents worth)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users