Point filters.

5 replies to this topic

#1 kbean63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 02:23 AM

Does Nanocad have anything similar to the feature in AutoCAD called "Point Filters"? If you aren't familiar with point filters it's a feature that let's you borrow X,Y, and/or Z coordinates from other points or coordinates. For example, say you're starting a drawing which you begin by inserting 2 points and then you want to insert a 3rd point but you want it to line up with the X coordinate from one point and the Y coordinate from the other. Point filters allows you to do this without creating layout lines but I haven't found a way to do this in Nanocad.

#2 David Duncan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 May 2023 - 03:18 AM

In nanoCAD this function is referred to as 'Coordinate filters', and is accessed through a pop-up menu similar to AutoCAD. This function is on the full version but not on the the free version, as far as I can tell.
To access, begin creating an element, such as a line ---> L <enter>, then press and hold <Shift> / Right Click.
The pop-up menu will appear and then you select 'Coordinate filters' to access the various points (coordinates) you wish to use to complete the command.

I think this is what you're looking for. Hope this helps.

#3 David Duncan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 May 2023 - 03:19 AM

In nanoCAD this function is referred to as 'Coordinate filters', and is accessed through a pop-up menu similar to AutoCAD. This function is on the full version but not on the the free version, as far as I can tell.

To access, begin creating an element, such as a line ---> L <enter>, then press and hold <Shift> / Right Click.
The pop-up menu will appear and then you select 'Coordinate filters' to access the various points (coordinates) you wish to use to complete the command.

I think this is what you're looking for. Hope this helps.

#4 kbean63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 01:13 AM

David Duncan -- thanks, that sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I'm using the free version and I agree that 'Coordinate Filters' does not appear to be available in this version. Back in the days when I worked on Autocad I used 'point filters' constantly so I feel totally hobbled without it or some sort of equivalent feature. It's bad enough not having it when working on 2 dimensions but in 3 dimensions I find it's often impossible to work without it.

Thanks for the info.

#5 kbean63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:22 AM

SMH. I figured it out and it was so simple. I noticed that whenever OSNAP (F3) was on it creates all those dotted guidelines or extension lines whenever you move the cursor over any point that you have selected for OSNAP to identify (endpoints, midpoints, center points, etc.). If you start an extension line from one point and then start a new extension line from another point you can then pick a third point where those two extension lines cross. In some ways this is actually much easier to work with than AutoCAD's point filters but it's really hard to use when any of the 3 points are really close together. Hope that explanation makes sense.

#6 kbean63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:23 AM

SMH. I figured it out and it was so simple. I noticed that whenever OSNAP (F3) was on it creates all those dotted guidelines or extension lines whenever you move the cursor over any point that you have selected for OSNAP to identify (endpoints, midpoints, center points, etc.). If you start an extension line from one point and then start a new extension line from another point you can then pick a third point where those two extension lines cross. In some ways this is actually much easier to work with than AutoCAD's point filters but it's really hard to use when any of the 3 points are really close together. Hope that explanation makes sense. See attached image.

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: NANO-2.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users