Reinstall after error - can't activate Nanocad 5

6 replies to this topic

#1 Wincastle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 02:43 AM

After using Nanocad 5 for 6 months successfully, the dimensioning function started playing up.
It wouldn't accept modifications to the dimension parameters.
After many hours of fruitless efforts to try and fix it, I decided the best thing was to do a reinstall.
Now I can't activate the newly installed app as the licence number has stayed the same as the old installation and the new one won't accept it. I can't find any way to overcome this problem so now I have an unuseable version of Nanocad 5..
Any suggestions?

#2 Artemio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 08:05 PM

Hello.
First thing I'd recommend to try - to clean previous installation completely.
How to do it: https://forum.nanoca...anocad-from-pc/
If it won't help, then it might happened because licensing of NanoCAD 5 has changed, now new license is valid for a year.
So, the older one might not work now.
Can you, please, try to get new license in your personal cabinet?

#3 Wincastle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try but can you explain what a "personal cabinet" is? Do you mean the PC box?

#4 Artemio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 09:31 AM

By "Personal cabinet" I ment page of NanoCAD website, where you can manage your licenses etc.
It's here: https://nanocad.com/personal/
If you don't have login there, then select "create account", enter your data and press "create account" button.
Confirm your e-mail via verification code and in response letter you'll get login and password to sign in into account.
After signing in - go to NanoCAD Free licenses section, input number of licenses you need (one is ok) and click "Get license" button.

#5 Wincastle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 09:06 AM

Thank you again. I found my Personal Cabinet via the link you kindly provided but the procedure wasn't straightforward. It seems to be modelled on the paid version and the questions and responses aren't exactly applicable to the free version. It seemed overly complicated for a free version.
Anyway, I clicked around and eventually created a new license and I'm up and running.(I now have two licences showing in my Personal Cabinet even though I have uninstalled the original app.)

Unfortunately despite the reinstall, I still have the original problem with the Dimension Style Manager not behaving as it should. That will need to be another query I guess.

As a comment, I am having a problem in getting good information for Nanocad 5 as there is no clear distinction in these forums by contributors between the two versions and the answers for Nanocad 23 don't necessarily apply to Nanocad 5.

#6 Artemio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 07:49 PM

Yeap, NanoCAD 23 runs far away from good old NanoCAD 5 (which has no supprot now).
If it's possible, I'd highly recommend switching to NanoCAD23 to have it's advantages (like awesome user interface, performance improvements and new features).

#7 David Duncan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:45 PM

Hello Wincastle,
While Artemio is 100% correct about v.23 versus v.5, I have found that the major difference is the ability to add on modules to v.23 to provide the extras. I, personally, use the 3D module but I must say that there are some bugs that I have yet to document and submit.
Regardless, v.5 will do everything you want as long as you are working in a 2D environment only. Any information you need, if not available through the Help options, can be found, most of the time, by accessing AutoCAD LT help pages. There are some terminology differences but you can usually work through them, if you have some AutoCAD experience. And that's really the comparison I choose to use... v.5 = AutoCAD LT / v.23 = AutoCAD Full version.
I have also used TurboCAD, Draftsight and a few others. Draftsight was good, but is no longer free, and nanoCAD v.5 is a very good substitute. The resemblance to AutoCAD is a plus.
Also, there are many v.5 users on this forum so, if you need v.5 answers, simply identify the version your question applies to. I know Artemio scans the forum pretty regularly, as do I. And I use both versions on a regular basis. I like v.5 because it's faster to load and get on with the task. If I need to use 3D then it's v.23. Or v.22... as I still have it loaded and there are less bugs then v.23.
Don't be hesitant to post your questions. Someone will respond... it just might be not as fast as you would like.

Regards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users