Converting DWG to PDF for printing A3 size

3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Dawson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 01:43 PM

For years I have relied on some templates at various scales for printing on A4 size paper (inkjet printer) and never had to grapple with Paper Space. Now I need to make a drawing at a printed scale of 1:50 which I shall upload (as PDF) for printing A3 size by an agency.

After some difficulty I have got a simple drawing with objects in Model Space drawn at scale 1:1 and an A3 Paper Space layout with Viewport at a Custom Scale of 0.02 (i.e. 1:50).

I can get this converted to PDF by uploading to an appropriate service which returns me a PDF. But how do I ensure that this is going to print properly at 1:50 scale on A3 paper? I am assuming that once converted to a PDF the layout settings become irrelevant?

I'm using nanoCAD 5 (the free version). Sorry to be cheapskate, but I'm retired, and this is for personal use..

Attached Files

#2 Artemio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 07:47 PM

Hello, Tim.
Actually, you don't need to use external services to get PDF from your drawing.
Select A3 paper space in it, then click on printer icon which is on the top left corner, or click "CTRL + P", or type "PLOT" in command line.
In appeared "Plot" dialog window select "Printer/plotter" = "Microsoft Print to PDF" and "Preview" to see what's coming, or "Plot" to creat PDF you need.
This might help to manage what'll be in PDF.

#3 Artemio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 07:59 PM

A3 paper space shows what is going to be on printed version.
You just need to place drawing there properly with ViewPort and it's scale.

#4 Tim Dawson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 09:42 AM

Hello Artemio,
Thank you. I don't have my A3 drawing yet, but the PDF printer works for an A4 and opens in Acrobat (upside down as it happens, but that harly matters for printing)..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users