Through Offset Errors

3 replies to this topic

#1 Brayden Longstaffe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 05:01 PM

I am doing some very basic straight line offsetting and having trouble with inaccuracies.

for example, I will offset a line 2", then 18", then 2" again but when i check the measurements with the dimension tool there is incremental errors and the lines are not offset the correct distance.

This is problematic because i dont want to be offsetting a fixed distance every time and im having to re-set the command. its much easier to do repeated offsets with the through option.

Any help appreciated.

#2 Artemio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 06:38 PM

Hello!
What version of NanoCAD are you using?
Have you tried to use object snaps or work with grid and snap to grid?

#3 David Duncan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 May 2023 - 12:36 AM

Hello Brayden,
I've tried to replicate your situation and have failed to do so, and I experienced no error or inaccuracy in the offset distance when I checked using dimension or DI.
nanoCAD 5 and nanoCAD 22 behave in a similar manner, except that v.5 does not have the extra options that are shown in v.22.

Regardless, neither version allows the User to change the offset distance while the command is active, or at least as far as I can determine. To change the distance, you have to exit the command then start again, as you note. However, again as you note, using the Through option, together with the Multiple option, you can place lines at various reference points to your heart's content. So, I believe the Offset command is working as it should, and am unsure about your expectations.

Now, if nanoCAD added an enhancement that would allow for the offset distance to be changed while the command is active, that would be a killer enhancement.

#4 Artemio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 07:07 AM

View PostDavid Duncan, on 20 May 2023 - 12:36 AM, said:

Hello Brayden,
I've tried to replicate your situation and have failed to do so, and I experienced no error or inaccuracy in the offset distance when I checked using dimension or DI.
nanoCAD 5 and nanoCAD 22 behave in a similar manner, except that v.5 does not have the extra options that are shown in v.22.

Regardless, neither version allows the User to change the offset distance while the command is active, or at least as far as I can determine. To change the distance, you have to exit the command then start again, as you note. However, again as you note, using the Through option, together with the Multiple option, you can place lines at various reference points to your heart's content. So, I believe the Offset command is working as it should, and am unsure about your expectations.

Now, if nanoCAD added an enhancement that would allow for the offset distance to be changed while the command is active, that would be a killer enhancement.

Hello, David. About your suggestion - could you, please, clarify - when and how exactly should distance changes? If possible - in steps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users