How to get dimensions aligned to an imported image that is being traced

2 replies to this topic

#1 Jared Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:26 PM

I'm ready to learn how to draft a building, but it's going slow.

I have an old architectural drawing that is stored as an image. I've been able to import it to begin working with it, but something so simple as scaling it is confusing, and I do not know how to give dimensions to the traced lines I will be drawing in the layer(s) above the image. It seems this is an important first step, but I cannot find anything about this in tutorials.

For simple example of what I mean, if I import a picture of a square box which is 2" x 2", within NanoCAD there is no indication that the sides of the square are actually 2". I'd like to specify the length and width of the traced lines so that when I later 3-d print the square, it comes out the right size.

Please point me to a place in documentation or give me pointers on how to do this.

Thank you

#2 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationFrance - Maine et Loire

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:02 AM

see my reply (scale command)

#3 rckseattle@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:02 AM

I think there may be a couple ways to tackle this. I would try laying down some reference lines and scaling the image using reference length and then fine tuning. If you have parts of the image that you know the length of just use that information and measure the distance of the parts of the image you have the length for, then figure out the difference between the distance that you measure in the image as it exists and what the true distance in your drawing would be for that same distance and scale the image accordingly....if that makes sense. Either way it might be a process of having a "known" point of reference and scaling the image accordingly. Might take some trial and error but this process has worked for me.
CHEERS! -RK

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users