Simple Planks of wood

6 replies to this topic

#1 JAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 01:57 AM

Within nanoCAD I construct (by extruding polylines and rectangles) a number of rectilinear boxes.
They are all planks of wood and I copy, place, move, rotate, and lock them (through 3D space) into position.

But some are too short; some are too long; some are too thin; and some are too wide…

I therefore hope that, every time I select one of those planks, it will present itself with six extrusion handles (one for each face), so that I can straightforwardly shorten or lengthen; widen or make less wide; and increase or decrease the height of the plank I’ve selected.

Why, when I select a box, (or select a box and choose “extrude”) that I don’t get those handles and can’t easily change the length, width, or height of those planks?

What is the proper way to do this?

#2 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationFrance - Maine et Loire

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:36 AM

Hello
Version of NC ?

#3 JAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:04 AM

I notice that if I copy one of these 'planks'; and tilt it so that it is in slightly isometric view, handles do appear. If I manage to make the box MUCH LARGER, the handles even allow me to lengthen the box though it's still not clear which handles allow me to lengthen/shorten and which cause the box to distort into a trapezoid or parallelogram... And if I am able to stretch the box in one direction (e.g., vertically up) I don't seem to be able to go to the bottom of that box, select it and find a corresponding handle that will allow me to stretch it in the opposite direction (vertically down).

And the simplest of resizings--looking at two thin boxes (planks) in a direct frontal view; perpendicular and connected at their inside corners but not overlapping and needing to extend the end of one so that it exactly butts the other and connects to the outside edge of the other...seems impossible.

Or to put it in terms of planks: It seems unnecessarily difficult to take seven different-length x 10 units deep x 3/4 unit thick planks and quickly resize, rotate, and reposition them so that they end up a simple and accurate bookcase containing three shelves.

#4 JAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:05 AM

Good evening (morning to you): nanoCAD Pro 20

#5 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:52 PM

Sorry,
only NC5.0 for me !

#6 JAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:09 PM

Does nanoCAD 5 allow for simple 3D object creation and manipulation--in the order of 'planks of wood'?

Where can I download a copy of nanoCAD 5 user manual?

#7 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 06:47 AM

Hello (7:30am :) ),
Yes NC5.0 ... : Draw >Meshes>Box, Wedge, Cone, etc....

Shift+ push mouse whell for rotate 3D vue.
UCS : for move coordonate and use 2D tools (Draw, Modify, etc)
I prefer use Sketchup 17Make for drawing 3D model, and Pconplanner (free) for transform Sketchup file in dwg.

For the user manual, i don't know, i use Help manual.
Cordialy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users