UCS explanatory information

ucs

4 replies to this topic

#1 JAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 01:08 AM

It’s become painfully obvious to me that the importance of the User Coordinate System and of understanding proper application of the myriad of topics associated to the UCS-- Clear ucs, Coordinate System manager, set UCS by object, UCS by view, Set UCS by Point, Set UCS by Point and Angle, UCS by Zaxis, UCS by 3 Point, UCS by X, UCS by Y, UCS by Z, World, Top, Bottom, Front, Left, Front, Right, named UCS-- is essential to proper operation of this program.

Though the manual defines (ortho and polar) coordinate systems and the proper application of input coordinates, very little space is devoted to explaining proper utilization of the UCS.

There’s very little explanatory (WHY? and WHEN?, not just HOW) information on the Internet regarding nanoCAD’s extensive UCS capabilities and it’s been a challenge searching for information via this forum because the search term ‘UCS’ is “…under 4 characters long or…it’s a non-allowed search term”.

Can anyone point me to a place where nanoCAD’s UCS functionality is discussed or explained.

Thank you

#2 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationFrance - Maine et Loire

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:30 AM

Why not here ! :D
What do you want know ?

Your NC version ? (me NC5.0)
Best regards

#3 JAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:16 AM

nanoCAD Pro 20 (although I would be willing to go to NC5,0 if it would support simple (e.g., building a cabinet) 3D)

You answered my question about polylines and it seems the source of many of my problems is directly related to UCS. So I would like to know when to employ set UCS by object, UCS by view, Set UCS by Point, Set UCS by Point and Angle, UCS by Zaxis, UCS by 3 Point, UCS by X, UCS by Y, UCS by Z and how some of them are different than the settings World, Top, Bottom, Front, Left, Front, Right

Right now, for example, when working with polylines, I switch back and forth between World and UCS by view

#4 JAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:17 AM

Does nanoCAD 5.0 support simple 3D capabilities?

#5 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationFrance - Maine et Loire

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:50 PM

I haven't used it much in 3D.
I prefer to use Sketchup v17 Make, for 3D, and Pconplanner to transform files to DWG.

In principle, the UCS is placed on the side of the surface that you want to work.
These software are not made to work in 3D except to augment them with useful 3D tools like NC Construction.

For example SHAPE by Bricsys (free) https://www.bricsys..../bricscad-shape

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users