Getting "Invalid expression" when trying to select start point

4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Scypher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:48 PM

Hello,

I am a novice Nanocad user/rusty ACAD user from several years ago, so I suspect I have something set incorrectly but here is my issue:

I use the command box from old habits, so when I type "line" it asks "specify first point:", I then type "mid" to start at the midpoint of an existing line and it responds "Invalid expression: mid - #". I get the same thing if I try to use "cen" for selecting the center of a circle, or "end" for the endpoint of an existing line. I believe these commands worked when I first started using Nanocad several weeks ago.

If anyone can straighten me out with this issue, I'd appreciate it.

BTW. I am just doing simple, 2D layouts.

#2 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationFrance - Maine et Loire

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:09 AM

and with DSETTINGS command for setting the object snap (F3 for on or off object snap) ?

Best regards
Patrick

#3 Bill Scypher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was able to open DSETTINGS and enabled MID, CEN, and a couple of others I may need. Now I can indeed select a point like middle of line or center of circle with the mouse. So that is a great improvement.

However, if I just type line ("Specify first point:"), then type MID i get "Invalid expression: mid - #". Perhaps nanocad doesn't work the same as ACAD did (I started using it back around 1989 and developed the habit of typing commands. It seems quicker for me)?
Now with your suggestion having MID, CEN, etc. turned on in DSETTINGS I can use those functions by mouse over on the selected object, so even if typing the command doesn't work, it's only a minor annoyance for me.

Thanks again.

Bill

#4 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationFrance - Maine et Loire

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:14 PM

Hello, in my opinion this is normal. Line command waits for the first point, a mouse click or keyboard coordinate
Absolute: x, y, z
Relative: @ x, y, z
Relattive: @dist <angle

Note: @ = last point clicked in memory

See you later !

#5 Bill Scypher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:05 PM

OK. After the tip to use DSETTINGS, I can accomplish what I'm attempting to do. Thanks again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users