Line Weight and Font Size

5 replies to this topic

#1 Eva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

I am brand new to any sort of autocad software. I have to put together some drawings for a work related project and I have to conform to a specific format.

There are 3 items that I'm struggling a bit with to get the format right using NanoCAD.

The first is that the format calls for a specific line thickness measured in inches. Specifically, the lines need to be 3/64" of an inch thick.

The second is that the font size is also given in inches. Specifically the Roman font must be 3/32" tall.

The last issue is the distance from the edge that the borders must be and the size of the title block must be a specific size in inches.

I've looked in the topics/help section of the NanoCAD software and couldn't find an answer. I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me out.

Thanks!

#2 SevaM

Admin

• Administrators
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hello!

You can change units settings in Format - Units dialog. You should select any inch unit. Also it's possible to create your own Text Style with desired font and height.

For templates with border and title block - usually we put it to our programs, so probably they were forgot when nanoCAD was published I have a set of different .templates, let me know which size do you need and I'll send it to you.

Best regards,
Seva.

#3 Eva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Seva thank you for your reply. I see now how to switch from mm to inches. Thank you. What I don't see though is a difference in line thickness. When I go into the properties of the line and change the thickness it doesn't change in the drawing. The only thing I've seen that seems to change the thickness in the drawing is line weight. However, whether I change the units from mm to inches it is always the same options under line weight. It goes from 0 to 2.11. What I need to do is set the line thickness to a specific thickness in inches. I have reviewed the instructions but I can't find a method in them on how to accomplish this.

I have the fonts and the option to change to font size. However, I can not input a size in mm or inches. It only offers the option to change the font size in points. Is it possible to set a font size in mm or inches?

#4 SevaM

Admin

• Administrators
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

First answer - about text.
If your draw Single line Text - first prompt in command line is Text Height ( in current Units - inches or mm ). Later you can change it in Inspector ( Properties ) dialog. For Multiline Text you also can specify height in current units in Inspector or in Modify-Object-Text command.

#5 SevaM

Admin

• Administrators
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

For Lineweight and Thickness - in most CAD editors ( and in nanoCAD also ) you work in Model space and usually use real coordinates - for example if you are drawing a room - you will enter real width and length of it. and if you are drawing very small mechanical part only few mm in size - you also will use real coordinates. And you need specific line thickness only when you print your drawing ( or create electronic document like PDF ). So real thickness should be specified on Plot stage. At first you can edit or create table with desired line thickness using Plot Styles Manager ( File menu ).

Attached Image: line1.jpg

You can select Units and Then modify Values.Save this table.
Then, when you are printing you document - select this table.

Attached Image: line2.jpg

#6 Koala

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostSevaM, on 21 November 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

For Lineweight and Thickness - in most CAD editors ( and in nanoCAD also ) you work in Model space and usually use real coordinates - for example if you are drawing a room - you will enter real width and length of it. and if you are drawing very small mechanical part only few mm in size - you also will use real coordinates. And you need specific line thickness only when you print your drawing ( or create electronic document like PDF ). So real thickness should be specified on Plot stage. At first you can edit or create table with desired line thickness using Plot Styles Manager ( File menu ).

Attachment line1.jpg

You can select Units and Then modify Values.Save this table.
Then, when you are printing you document - select this table.

Attachment line2.jpg

SevaM - you are right once technical drawing is concerned. However in my opinion your program is so good that it could be easily adapted for town planning (or more generaly for all purposes where maps are involved). The problem is, that when you play with maps, the principle you described above is not valid anymore - you need to see exactly line's thickness that you are drawing (at the moment you are doing it).
I have signed for the Nanocad 6 tests, however I see it doesn't change anything in this topic.

As far as I have noticed the little solution to the problem is playing with "Adjust display scale". However, what is missing, is that I can't find straightforward connection between zoom level and chosen display scale. In fact I've never found the scale which would tell me what zoom level I am currently operating on. Having this information, I would welcome the possibility to match the zoom level with "adjust display scale". As a result operating on different zooms I would be able to keep lines' thickness proportionally to the remainig part of the drawing.

If I understand something wrongly and there are hidden capabilities that I am missing please correct me. I've always sent you private email considering Nanocad 6 tests.

Kind regards
Koala

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users