Inconsistent problem opening DWG

2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Cole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:55 PM

Hello,

I'm a longtime AutoCad user trying out this application.

I have a peculiar problem trying to operate NanoCad on my home computer and the one I use at work. I have installed the demo for Nanocad Plus (Nanocad 20 I think) on my home computer and it functions flawlessly with AutoCad files I brought from work.

I installed Nanocad11Pro on my work computer but it simply will not open AutoCad files of any kind, even old ones. It won't even open the sample files included with the package. All I get is the Windows Spins (perpetually spinning busy cursor)

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, even tried Nanocad Plus...none of them will open files.

Both machines are multicore, high end and perfectly capable of running AutoCad and Revit. Both machines are Windows 10.

The only difference is the the work computer has AutoDesk products installed. Is it possible this could be interfering with Nanocad operations (either inadvertently or purposefully?)

We are looking at adding vanilla AutoCad seats but, needless to say, this will be quite pricey on top of what we already have. I was very impressed with what I saw on my home computer and was wanting to demo it at work as a possible alternate to AutoCad.

Does Nanocad produce a "start-up log" somewhere that might pinpoint what the problem might be?

Thanks

#2 pguimber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationFrance - Maine et Loire

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:23 AM

Hello,
at the office (Autocad 13), I installed NC5.0 (free), NC11 and 20 (test) without problem for opening files (dwg v13).

Maybe redo the installation in Administrator mode?
cordially
Patrick

#3 Mark Cole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:59 PM

pguimber,

Thanks,

installing as Administrator seems to have been the trick.

One thing I noticed was that the first time opening of files needed to happen through the welcome splash screen. Otherwise Nanocad could not seem to connect to the network to open files. But once a single networked file was opened by way of the welcome screen, all subsequent searches and opening could happen by any method at any time.

Thanks for the help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users