angle dimensions

dimension angle

12 replies to this topic

#1 larry s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

I am a new user, so maybe I'm missing something.
I am having minimal success in dimensioning angles.

I cannot figure how to dimension an angle 180<X<270 degrees. Two lines meeting at a point, I can label 170 degree angles, 330 degree angles, but I am unable to label 190 degree angle.

The angle dimensioning tries, deflection angle, compliment angle, but not the exterior angle.

I can label exterior angle in excess of 270, but I haven't figured out how to label less than 270, greater than 180, exterior angles.

and it's a BIG deal to me. In my application, all angles are either interior or exterior to a polygon regardless, and there may be a dozen sides with a range of very small, very large, and everything in between angles.

(I'm betting it doesn't label angles in the vicinity of 225 deg.)

#2 Kreator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationKrasnodar, Russia

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

What version are you using?
I'm able (not without difficulty) to make the angle moving cursor near the line within interrior angle space. Working in NC+ 10/11. And I don't use "closest point" snap to select 1st line.
https://cloud.mail.r.../5t3c/3S1aTsFeb

#3 larry s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:59 PM

I have v5 freeware.

Two lines, 271 degree angle can be labeled. I cannot get 269 degree, or 181 drgree. And 271 drgree is difficult.

As I drag the cursor around all sorts of angles are presented. Just not 3rd quadrant angles. As nearly as I can tell.

So, you’ve labeled 269? Or 181? Degrees.

#4 larry s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

Can I upload a dwg with examples?

#5 larry s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:37 PM

Attached is an example of angle dimension question. Unable to label an angle 180<X<270 deg

Attached Files

#6 Kreator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:43 AM

It works just same for your drawing as I've shown before. I can't check v5 as I don't have it installed. Try the same algorithm: uncheck "Closest point" snap, start angle dimension command, select 1st line, check "Closest point" snap, select 2nd line moving near it within desired sector.

#7 larry s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:13 PM

First, thank you. I am a bit frustrated with a task that should be simple.

"uncheck Closest point" snap, start angle dimension command, select 1st line"
By 'unchecking' NEAREST snap, I cannot accurately 'select the first line'. So, I don't understand that instruction.

I've tried hundreds of times, with every variation I can find.

However, I see that in the version that you have, there are 2 options for angle dimesioning. In v.5 freeware there is only one options. And apparently v5 cannot label 210 degrees - as far as I can tell.

Thank you for taking some time to make the video.

Attached is a screen shot that shows the difference in versions.

I really need to solve this issue.

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: nanocad_angle_dimensions.jpg

#8 Kreator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:15 PM

Nearest, right you are :)
I use same angle dimension tool (upper one). It's command is DAN or DIMANGULAR. Do you have square-shaped cursor if you start the command with NEAREST snap off?

#9 larry s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:59 PM

with OSNAP off, there is no pick box of snap indicator.

v5 must be quite primitive. I see all of the DLLs are 2013.

the help calls out

1. Start the Auto command.
2. Select the anGular option in the command line or context menu.

3. Specify the first point of the angular dimension (vertex of angle):

4. Specify the second point of the angular dimension:
5. Specify the third point of the angular dimension:
6. Specify the location of the dimension line:
7. Press ENTER to finish the command

Step #3: select vertex, appears absolutely crucial and not an option for accurate dimensions. That's an ENDPOINT snap. Then NEAREST or END for the lines.This works, but I cannot get a dimension 180<x<270 degrees. I get every possible variation except 181-269 degrees. I've poured a couple of hours in pursuit of the elusive 225 degree angle. and 270.1 is near impossible. It's a poor dimensioning tool.

I think with v5 and its 2013 DLLs, it's just not there.

I'm open to try anything. But there are other qwirks. I think v5 freeware is flawed in many ways. That's why it's freeware.

I was ACAD, but that was company license and a long time ago. Then I was Draftsight but that is going away. My hope was for NanoCAD. and v5 feels like a beta version.

#10 Kreator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:17 AM

Yea, v5 is kinda old ;)
I'll try to install it and check the behavior there. In v11 it's hard to get the result, but it's possible.

#11 Kreator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

That's it - in v5 I can't get the result with same actions. The only way for me is manual moving the points after you insert a new dimension.
https://cloud.mail.r.../5fy1/orgvvA34R

#12 larry s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

Wow, thank you for your persistence.
And the video is clear.
At least it’s possible, in limited cases only. As a standard procedure it’s far to complicated.

However, I can sort out the angle as necessary.

Is there any hope of a more current demo? This demo is not selling me on NanoCAD, however, your attention is.

#13 Kreator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

Welcome ;)
What you mean by "more current demo"? Newer free version? If so, I can't tell you - I'm not a nanoSoft member, just user :)
But they usually also don't tell anything exact about NC free version. So, don't hope that much ;) If you use it in your everyday work, the best way is to get Plus/Pro version, it's worth buying for sure. Not ideal, of course, but definitely good :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users