How to enter a line angle in surveyor units

Survey Coordinates angle

1 reply to this topic

#1 TeaMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 05:25 PM

I need to draw my lot where I plan to build a shop. I am struggling with how to enter the angle using surveyor units. For example, I have a lot line that is 227.97 feet at S33degrees 16' 14"W. I typed degrees instead of the symbol since I don't know how to make the degree symbol. I suspect it starts with 227.97@. or 227.97<. I'm not sure what to put after the @ sign or < sign while the units are in surveyor mode. Can anyone help please?

I tried these two: 227.97<S33d16'14"W and 227.97@S33d16'14"W. Both returned an error. Maybe my settings are incorrect also. I just typed units, switched the angle to Surveyor and units to feet. I made no other changes.

Thanks
TeaMan

#2 TeaMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 04:00 PM

Hey everyone, I was able to get a survey unit to enter in the system but it still doesn't seem correct. When I type units in the command line, I can select surveyor as the angle. Then I can chose N, S, E, or W as the base angle or even enter my own. Then I chose feet as the insertion scale.

Now when I want to draw a line, I chose the line command, picked a spot on the screen to start. I'm trying to draw a line at S33d09'05"W, which is how it's shown on my plat map from the surveying company. In the units dialog box, I chose S as the base angle hoping that took into account, the beginning S in my surveyors line angle if I'm saying that correctly. At the command line I typed @236.78<53d09'05" and pressed the space bar to accept the command. It draws a line at an angle, but it doesn't match the angle of the line on my plat map. I'm confused on two things. I think the 236.78 just after the @ sign is correct for 236.78 feet. When looking at S33d09'05"W, I'm not sure how to take the first "S". Is this taken into account by setting the base angle to "S"? Then the last "W", how is this taken into account? If I try to add a W at the end of my string after the @ sign, it get an error, invalid syntax.

I tried to draw 4 lines independently on my screen to see if I could maybe move them together to form the lot. The directions of the 4 lines didn't go in the proper directions to make sense even using the opposite ends of the lines. I wasn't able to move them together to form the plat map provided by the surveyor.

Here are the lines that I'm trying to draw. The 1st 4 are the ones I tried to independently draw, there is a 5th and 6th line that complete the lot that I'm trying to draw. The 5th is straight, the 6th is an arc. The arc is small so I can approximate it after I get the other 5 lines drawn, but I can't get them to work like they should. I suspect it's totally my misunderstanding of surveyors units and how they are used in the software. Starting on the North part of the lot:
Line 1 - 51.32', the angle is S58d26'43"W. This connects to Line 2
Line 2 - 227.97', the angle is S33d16'14"W. This connects to Line 3
Line 3 - 45.42', the angle is N63d49'20"W. This connects to Line 4
Line 4 - 236.78', the angle is S53d09'05"W. This connects to the Arc.
Line 5 - 61.85', the angle is N31d33'17"W. This connects to Line 1

The Arc is 51.75' and connects one end of Line 5 and one end of Line 4.

The 6 lines join to enclose a somewhat PIE shaped lot.

Can anyone help me understand how handle the units I have to work with? Looking at Line 5, what I would call the angle N31d33'17"W, how do I handle the N at the beginning and W at the end? This has me confused.

Thanks
TeaMan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users