line tangent to tangent

7 replies to this topic

#1 brad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hi, I'm new to this particular peice of software and i like it as i can load this on a Flash drive and work on field drawings on the go. Make my life so much easier.

In my testing most of the commands seem similiar or the same to AutoCA, however i cant figure out how to draw a tanget line across two circles

http://img.ctrlv.in/4faaf0bd4ebf3.jpg

in cad the typed commands would be "L" -> "tan" -> (select a circle) -> "tan" (select the other circle) -> END

getting something similiar to this

http://img.ctrlv.in/4faaf16d3be55.jpg

is there a way to do that?

#2 Chien

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'm also stuck with this, please somebody help :)

#3 SevaM

Admin

• Administrators
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hello,
not in current version - nanoCAD is using simple tangent snap, so you should specify first point of line to draw tangent to circle. It's planned in future versions.

#4 Hugo Matsuo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

I am new here.

When you refer future version, are you refering Version5 or Version 6

I am using Version 5.

#5 Hellen_V

nanoCAD Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hello Hugo,
the function is not realized in 5 and 6 versions.
Hope, it will be in future versions.
Go for nanoCAD Plus 10 now!
New interface, improved and accelerated drawing process, support for dwg2018 format. You will like new version!
Free trial license is available here: https://nanocad.com/.../plus/download/

nanoCAD Support Team
support@nanocad.com

#6 Hugo Matsuo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:13 PM

Thank you Hellen.

Please, improve this function in future version... It will help me a lot.

#7 Casey Johnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCentral Pennsylvania

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:25 AM

Hello,

One way to do this is to use the Acos function. If you subtract the smaller circle from the larger one and measure the line between the center points of both circles. If you take the Acos of the difference between the circles and the distance between centers you can draw a line from the center of the largest circle using the angle you get from Acos. I used 2.5 radius for large and 1 radius for small with 7 between centers. Here is my command: ?Acos(1.5/7) and it came up with Acos(1.5/7) = 1.354839 radians. I am just new at this so I do not know how to change it so it reads in degrees. What i did was multiply the radians by 57.29578 which is how many degrees are in one radian. My next command was: ?1.354839*57.29578 which equals 77.626443 degrees. Since this was the larger circle the angle goes toward the smaller circle using the center points as a side. It would be neat if I knew how to enclose a copy of my print but I have just joined and need to some research unless someone who knows how will help me. I also would like to change what the command gives me from radians to degrees. (I will be 69 an a couple of months and I am not really that fond of radians. By the way! This is a really nice program! I do not know how you can let me use it for free, but thank you very much.

Casey

I almost forgot when you get your first point use Tan for the smaller circle and the mirror will give you a line on the other if you use the center line of the circles.

Edited by Casey Johnson, 24 April 2016 - 01:14 AM.

#8 Casey Johnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCentral Pennsylvania

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:45 AM

Hello,

When I wrote above it seemed like a lot of work for a tangent line. When I edited it I got to thinking! You can draw a tangent to a circle from one point like the center of a circle. I tried this out and it is a lot easier. Subtract the small radius from the larger radius and draw a circle with that radius from the center of the large circle. Draw a line from the center of the small circle tangent to the circle you just drew. Draw a line from the center of the larger circle to the tangent point and then another one from there to the large circle where it says perpendicular. Then draw a line tangent to the small circle. Highlight and delete unnecessary lines. I am going to try this with same size circles next. No I am not, if the circles are the same size you just have to offset the center line.

Casey

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users