Print Accuracy

2 replies to this topic

#1 zeta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:29 PM

New to NanoCad. My Draftsight quit recently, apparently I got more time than most, so I'm looking for another reasonable CAD program. I've only been working with it for 30 minutes or so but this is one of the first tests I run. I have used this print and computer with other CAD programs. Typically setting calipers to the dimension it is pretty easy to see if the print is large or small. Sometimes it is to center of the line sometimes to edge.
I occasionally use prints as templates in some operation such as drilling or cutting. I test the accuracy of the print by printing circles and squares and then measure them. Using 0 width and default settings other than 1:1 in the drawing.
I noted that if you switch units the dimensions retain the text scale for the previous units (meaning the text is quite large or small) I tested in mm and inches. I opened new drawings for each test in case changing units causes some issue as it did with the dimensions.
These are measured to the outside of the line (0 width) rather than center. 5" circle was small at 4.975" 100mm circle was small at 99.69mm. A square 5" was small 4.981". A square 100mm was 100mm (this again was outside edge of line).

Are there any settings that would affect this I should look at?

Overall the UI for nano is nice. Quick, intuitive, a lot of information is displayed during drawing and it is clean and not cumbersome. Some differenecs to get used to. Ordinate dimensions work differently needing an initial dimension placed and then using the chain command.

#2 zeta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:07 PM

Further testing it seems to be in the entity itself. I created a testplot (circle and square) with Nano and plotted it as well as saved it. Opened with a different program and the size of the entities was listed correctly but when printed it had the same results. I created the same in a different CAD program and printed and saved. It came out correct. I opened with Nano and printed and it came out correct.
I found a plotscale system variable which was set for (1). I could try altering this to adjust it.

#3 zeta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:34 PM

This seems to be something that is in the intellicad consortium base program. CMS and Act do the same thing. I haven't had time to really dig into it but it seems to have a similar affect with paper sizes. Does intellicad run in SI units and they didn't use a good enough conversion number (meaning enough decimals to get an accurate conversion?).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users